Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Grandma Jo



I was so blessed to be able to spend a few days with my Grandmother in early December. My family is planning a trip home to Washington this summer but I felt that I really needed to spend a few days with my grandmother. Her mind isn’t as sharp as it used to be so I’m not sure if she’ll even remember the time I spend with her but I’ll never forget.
It had only been a year since I last saw here and I couldn’t believe how much she had aged. Her eyes told me how hard the last year had been on her little frail body. When I first saw her, we hugged tight and we both cried. No words were exchanged but I could feel of her love wrapped around me.
It was hard to see her just sitting and resting in her chair. My grandmother, the woman who always waited one others has to depend on others to wait and serve her. We spend our time talking about the kids and family. I had to watcher her slowly use her walker to get to the kitchen table where she watched me make Almond Roca. We told stories as my best friend and cousin Mindy sat at the table. I had to tell my favorite Grandma Jo memory. When she was decorating cakes, in a very stern voice, she would say, “Hold out your finger” and with hesitation I’d hold out my finger. She would pipe on a big glob of frosting onto my finger and then she’d whisper, “ Eat that and don’t tell your mother”. We all giggled.
I took Grandma and Grandpa out for lunch and then the next day we just relaxed and hung out at the house. I made cookies and then supper. We enjoyed a short visit with my Auntie Susie and her family. Next thing I knew it was time to say good-bye. I knew what I wanted to say and knew if I didn’t say what was on my mind I would forever regret it. I waited until we were alone and then I kneeled in front of her and held her hands. I told her that I was sorry that I didn’t live closer because if I did I would be there to help her and Grandpa out more. Then I asked her how many grandchildren she had. She told me she would have to think about it so I had to remind her that she had 26. Then I told her out of those 26 grandkids, I was the luckiest of them all, did she know why? She told me because I was first and I told her that’s right, I had her first. Then after some more tears I told her it was really important to me that she stays strong until next summer so I can bring my boys home to meet her. We hugged one last time and I told her that I loved her. Hugged and kissed Grandpa goodbye and out the door I went. I sat in my car and had a little break down, not knowing if that I’d see my grandmother alive again. It was bitter-sweet visit but I am so thankful for the time I was able to send with her.
I love you Grandma Jo!

1 comment:

Jeanell Climer said...

Your Grandma is an amazing woman. I see so much of her in you: strong work ethic, strong sense of family and love. It was such a blessing for me to be able to sit at the table and watch you interact with Grandma. It made my heart so happy to know that you got to see her again. I pray that your boys get to meet her this summer.